Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Gluten Free Waffles (adjusted recipe)

This is my doctored up recipe for Gluten-Free Waffles. I use a waffle maker from the store, its small and works great, and I only use it for GF waffles.

The base of the recipe is from the Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free Pancake & Baking Mix. The bag is small (28oz) but I get a lot of waffles from it. I also make a full batch each time (using a full cup of mix) and can refrigerate the left overs for two more mornings breakfast. The warm nicely in a toaster oven.

The recipe on the back is a bit different than mine, but not too much...

3 eggs (fresh, organic, local)
1.5 Tbsp Canola Oil
2 Tbsp local honey for allergies
1 generous sprinkle of korintje cinnamon
milk (enough to thin the mix)

That is the base recipe, but because the batter is so hearty and strong, I often make changes such as...

Puree various fruits and add them in such as raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and bananas.

When low on honey I added in some organic maple syrup and that was very yummy, great for a road trip in the morning, no syrup is needed.

My latest is taking out the cinnamon and adding in some fresh lavendar flowers for their calming abilities, this is good before a field trip or a coop meeting.

It seems you can put nearly anything in there, the batter holds up really well.

I have the ingredients to make the base from scratch here, but havent played with the proportions. It calls for White Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Tapioca Starch, Baking Powder, Yellow Corn Flour, Sea Salt and cinnamon.

1 comment:

Sunshine Alternative Mama said...

Thanks! After our vacation I'll play with the recipe a bit, using the Bob's all-purpose GF flour instead of the mix.